Re: [debian-knoppix] ide-scsi and multilun support

#include <hallo.h>
Steffen Evers wrote on Wed May 08, 2002 um 12:57:29PM:

> > We DO need the SCSI emulation in any case, because otherwise
> > IDE-CDwriters don't work too well.
> Yes, I know. As I have other problems with ide-scsi I would really like
> to see an ide-cdwriter driver for cdrecord coming soon ...

Don't keep your breath. The "ide-cd" driver was a crazy idea, since it
just duplicated the development of ide-scsi and native cdrom driver.
Note that native is NOT ide-cd! "IDE cdrom" is a wrong definition for
ATAPI though - ATAPI is SCSI MMC protocol tunneled over the ATA bus.
ide-cd driver does nothing but implementing a small subset of ATAPI/MMC,
exactly as ide-floppy or ide-tape do. All this forks can be replaced
with ide-scsi and native scsi drivers.

> The other problem is that the ide-scsi driver seems to turn off the udma
> of my Atapi writer. Though, all information in the proc dir and hdparm says
> it IS activated, but it is slow and blocks the other device (Atapi

Unreproducible for me. How did you run hdparm on it?

> DVDrom), e.g. a mount command executed while blanking a CDRW is delayed
> until the blanking has finished. Maybe this is normal, but sometimes it
> crashes my Linux system as well, so I have to do a reset ...

Well, cdrecord operations happen on a another layer than block
operations (ide-cd, cdrom/ide-scsi combie). You have to expect delays
there due to Linux' bad SCSI driver design.

Gruss/Regards,
Eduard.
--
Ich glaube nicht, daß man dieses Stück in Software umgesetzte Scheiße über-
haupt mieser machen kann, als es sowieso schon ist. Das dürfte das einzige