Re: [debian-knoppix] Hi

Hello Allan,

On Wed, Jan 16, 2002 at 03:59:54PM +0100, Allan Jacobsen wrote:
> Hi (Guten tag)
>
> I hope it is allright if I write in english, I can read german OK, but
> I am terrible at writing german.

No problem, the list is switching between english and german all the
time, and even french postings have been seen. ;-)

> I have downloaded the iso image and it runs great, but I would like
> to make my own version, with some of our utilities, but have had
> some problems.
> I have read the FAQs that I could find, but no luck yet.
> In the KNOPPIX-FAQ it says that there is no passwords

"No passwords" means "no valie passwords", which means that you cannot
log in from outside. It's a security feature, in case you want to
make any internet connections and have started some kind of local
server, accidentially or on purpose.

> but I am unable
> to "su -" and the file "KNOPPIX/README_Security.txt" does not exist.

[knoppix@knoppix]# ll /cdrom/KNOPPIX/README_Security.txt
-r--r--r--    1 root     root         2530 Aug 24 02:15 /cdrom/KNOPPIX/README_Security.txt

I'm pretty sure it exists! Die you download the correct image? Current
one is KNOPPIX_HCT-01-01-2002.iso, which is 715653120 bytes
(md5sum is db5792b9e269aada367cca04d103b56d).

> As the user knoppix I am not able to mount the partition I want to
> copy the Cdrom to, so I am stuck.

You can sudo any command you like, and there is an entry "Root Shell" in
the KDE Menu labeled "Knoppix". Last but not least, you can switch to
the text consoles as usual with Ctrl-Alt-F1, where you will find some
root shells ready to use.

Klaus Knopper                  LinuxTag 2002 - Europes largest Linux Expo
Technical Solutions                                 Where .com meets .org
knopper@linuxtag.de                               http://www.linuxtag.de/
Phone +49-(0)180-5-546898                         Fax +49-(0)180-5-546893