Re: Proposal: Switch to linear git history

On Monday, 15 January 2024 14:07:42 CET Emanuele Rocca wrote:
> A partial explanation for the confusion is that right now the master
> branch is where you land changes that target experimental, while the sid
> branch is for changes targeting sid. However, obviously not all commits
> end up in Debian experimental -

And my proposal is that 'all' changes (refactorings/new modules) target the
master branch which then land in Experimental first. And when the time is right
(usually around version .0/.1/.2), then it gets uploaded to Sid.
But imo new features/modules should NOT go directly to Sid.

> but the guideline is to always send changes to master anyways.

I don't think such a guideline exists, at least not 'formally'.
There currently is just 1 (old) MR targeting Sid, but there have been more in
the past.
I just checked the merged MRs and the current practice does seem to be
targeting master, but there are some older ones (>4 months) which went
directly to Sid which I think they shouldn't.