Re: Proposal: Switch to linear git history

Hi,

On 2024-01-15 01:14, Diederik de Haas wrote:
> On Thursday, 21 December 2023 17:30:26 CET Bastian Blank wrote:
> > - All changes need to go via master, which they should do anyway.
>
> I think this as a general rule, with few clearly defined exceptions (like
> stable release updates), would be a good thing. Now it feels like targeting
> 'sid' is a way to (quickly) 'sneak' in some changes.
> Moreover targeting 'sid' or 'master' seems rather arbitrary atm.

A partial explanation for the confusion is that right now the master
branch is where you land changes that target experimental, while the sid
branch is for changes targeting sid. However, obviously not all commits
end up in Debian experimental - but the guideline is to always send
changes to master anyways.

This double role of the master branch, namely landing branch for all
changes and branch meant for experimental, is what confuses me at least.
Maybe a better approach could be creating an additional branch for
experimental, enforcing that all changes go via master, and then merging
from master to the "target distribution" branch as needed?