Re: Debian Kernel version and ABI in respect of #1040901

On Thu, Jul 13, 2023 at 09:16:15PM +0200, Bastian Blank wrote:
> Please share your thoughts or if we have a better solution overall.

After a lot of thinking, maybe a solution that allows for incompatible
package updates without renames would be more useful.  Something like:

We uncouple the package names and ABI.  The ABI will include the
complete version, so every rebuild will change it.  The package names
can include just the upstream version, aka 6.1.1.

This means:
- Every module will be compatible always only with the exact version.
- External modules needs rebuilds for every update of a image package.

We already say: You need to reboot after kernel upgrade, because the ABI
only provides compatibility from older modules to newer kernels.  This
would be now enforced by complete lack of compatibility.

In the end this is what the RedHat world does AFAIK.  They can install
multiple versions of the same package at the same time, so you have just
"kernel" installed in multiple versions.

Regards,
Bastian

--
Murder is contrary to the laws of man and God.
		-- M-5 Computer, "The Ultimate Computer", stardate 4731.3