Re: Debian Kernel version and ABI in respect of #1040901

On Fri, Jul 14, 2023 at 04:17:34PM +0200, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Thu, 2023-07-13 at 21:16 +0200, Bastian Blank wrote:
> [...]
> > ## Proposed behaviour
> >
> > This tries to make sure everything apart from experimental gets new
> > names and ABI on every upload.
> >
> > * experimental:
> >     Keep version 6.1~rc2-3~exp4, 6.1.2-3~exp4
> >     Keep ABI 6.1.0-0-arm64
> Why would that still be acceptable in experimental?

What do you mean?  We don't check for any ABI incompatibilities forever
in experimental builds.  And the signature check will refuse to load
modules not from the same build if lockdown is enabled.

So the ABI as listed in the image and the package just means it is
provided in the same package and can be upgraded directly.

We can also decide that we don't want to make it that explicit and do:

ABI/package name only includes upstream version (6.1.1) and multiple
Debian revisions of that will be incompable to each other on lockdown
systems, but may work (depending on symvers) on non-lockdown systems.

It does not happen often that we do multiple Debian revisions of most
upstream version anyway, so people will only feel that if they upgrade
directly from backports to a different release of the same version.

Bastian

--
Fascinating, a totally parochial attitude.
		-- Spock, "Metamorphosis", stardate 3219.8