Re: Getting the latest and greatest Linux perf features on every Debian kernel

On Sun, 2022-12-25 at 03:51 -0800, Andi Kleen wrote:
> Ian Rogers <irogers@google.com> writes:
>
> > So I wanted to say a BIG thanks to Ben as I see in the 5.16
> > changelog
> > that the perf wrapper script for Debian is now gone!

As already said: Thank you Ben!

> > https://metadata.ftp-master.debian.org/changelogs//main/l/linux/linux_6.1~rc8-1~exp1_changelog
>
> Halleluja! This wrapper literally is the singlest biggest usability
> problem with
> perf with real users. Hopefully that change gets picked up everywhere
> as
> soon possible.

One important thing to notice: when using the bullseye backports
kernel, you should also use the linux-perf from backports.
This package uses a diversion to replace the perf wrapper
(/usr/bin/perf) which still is provided by linux-base. Very neat!

Long story short: Everything works properly when using the linux-perf
from backports (including the python bindings).

Felix