Re: Getting the latest and greatest Linux perf features on every Debian kernel

On Thu, 2022-12-22 at 17:43 -0800, Ian Rogers wrote:
[...]
> I had a few things to ask wrt this thread and getting the best
> possible Debian experience:
>  - in Linux 6.2 the libtraceevent will need to become an external
> library dependency

This shouldn't be a problem; it's already packaged separately in Debian
and we can build-depend on that.

>  - are there issues with debuginfod/zstd enablement? libbfd has
> licensing issues. libcrypto is only used by the JIT support, but still
> may be nice to enable.

- debuginfod is licensed under GPLv3+, so has the same issue as libbfd
- libzstd is licensed under GPLv2 (with most of its code also
permissively licensed)
- libcrypto is now licensed under Apache 2.0, which is not compatible
with GPLv2

So I think only libzstd can be enabled in official packages.

[...]
>  - are there some residual wrapper artifacts in the package, for example:
> ```
> $ dpkg -L linux-perf
> /.
> /usr
> /usr/bin
> /usr/bin/perf
> package diverts others to: /usr/bin/perf.wrapper
> package diverts others to: /usr/share/bash-completion/completions/perf.wrapper
> package diverts others to: /usr/share/man/man1/perf.wrapper.1.gz
> ```
[...]

These diversions are present to avoid conflicts with the wrappers in
older versions of linux-base.  We can remove them after the next stable
release.

Klipstein's 4th Law of Prototyping and Production:
                               A fail-safe circuit will destroy others.