Re: Kernel related problem (randomly failing tests), where to discuss?

On Sat, 2022-01-15 at 00:00 +0100, Diederik de Haas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1003536 I described the
> problem in more detail, but I'll give the TL;DR here to determine the best
> place/ML to discuss the issue further.
>
> TL;DR: The iwd program deliberately/explicitly uses kernel features/modules
> for some of its functionality. It also has a number of tests, but they fail
> (or succeed) a bit (too) random, because whether a kernel module is loaded or
> not depends on several factors:
[...]
> Has this problem been discussed before? If so, could someone point me to that?
> If not, where would the best place be to discuss this?

You shouldn't run any tests like this at build time.

For autopkgtests, if you set the needs-root and isolation-machine
restrictions then the tests will run as root on a VM.  But currently
neither salsa-ci nor ci.debian.net implements this, so those tests will
be skipped.

Another option in autopkgtests is to depend on qemu and start the VM
yourself.  This is not easy to do, but I implemented it for initramfs-
tools.

I'm always amazed by the number of people who take up solipsism because
they heard someone else explain it. - E*Borg on alt.fan.pratchett