Re: Git repository request for carl9170fw

On Fri, 2021-10-08 at 14:35 +0200, maximilian attems wrote:
>> By the way, can you also add a Recommends on
>> firmware-ath9k-htc in that upload (you can close #900171)?
> I haven't followed carl9170fw at all. I thought you would want a
> Recommends on firmware-carl9170fw or something?
We're talking about two different things. Indeed, a recommends on
firmware-carl9170 (that's what the binary package will be called) would
be nice. It's up to you whether you'd like to add the Recommends now
with the package not being in the archive yet.

What I was just referring to is ath9k_htc, another libre wireless
firmware for USB adapters which I already maintain. In my opinion, it
would be nice if we could get all free firmware building from source
(probably in their own source packages as necessary) and eventually
someday turn firmware-linux-free into a metapackage.

You may look at the bug for more of a rationale, but it's my opinion
that firmware-ath9k-htc should be installed by default; the only reason
it is segregated from firmware-linux-free is because we build it from
source code. Users generally expect that installing firmware-linux-free
installs all of the free firmware they may need.