Building perf tool and packaging it into linux-tools

Hi Team,

Can someone suggest the recommended way to build the "perf" tool and package it into linux-tools*?

I have been using a modified version (done internally at Uber) provided in this patch:
https://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2015/04/msg00013.html

This patch doesn't apply properly to newer Kernel releases.

Since this is a common requirement, I am wondering if there is an alternate solution that does not require the above mentioned patch.

--
Thanks
-ajoy