Re: gcc version used for stable kernels

On Sun, 2019-08-25 at 15:21 -0400, Scott Nanni wrote:
> 14:43  IDS> Live USB says 'Linux version 4.19.0-5-amd64 (
> debian-kernel@lists.debian.org) (gcc version 8.3.0 (Debian 8.3.0-7)) #1 SMP
> Debian 4.19.37-5 (2019-06-19)'
> 14:45  IDS> Install says 'Linux version 4.19.0-5-amd64 (
> debian-kernel@lists.debian.org) (gcc version 8.3.0 (Debian 8.3.0-6)) #1 SMP
> Debian 4.19.37-5 (2019-08-08)'
> 14:50  IDS> Install shouldn't be older than Live, no?

The installed kernel version should be 4.19.37-5+deb10u2.

> This is a conversation piece from #debian on OFTC just now.. and we're a
> bit curious.
>
> Obviously this user doesn't observe the DATE of these two strings, but that
> aside..
>
> What I realize is that all my sources say Buster and Bullseye have gcc
> 8.3.0-1 yet these say they were built by 8.3.0-6 and 8.3.0-7 respectively..
> its a little curious to say the least.
>
> I was just wondering if any of the kernel maintainers could shed a little
> light on the build process and why our live media and the stuff it installs
> would be different in any way at all, and why the kernel reports it was
> built by versions of gcc that don't appear to be in Debian.

There is nothing special about the kernel in this regard.

The installer and live image are built from packages that were
originally built in unstable before the release, while the installed
system includes security updates that were built in stable after the
release.

Source and binary packages in a stable release are initially copied
from testing, and packages in testing are (mostly) copied from
unstable.  Only security or stable updates are built using the stable
release itself, so any other packages in stable might have been built
using newer versions of their build-dependencies or build-essential
tools.

If you seem to know what you are doing, you'll be given more to do.