Re: firmware-iwlwifi disable network-manager's root password requirement for every user

On Tue, 2019-03-12 at 15:13 +0100, cacquarante@gmail.com wrote:
>     Dear maintainers,
>
>         this concerns :
>
>             network-manager version 1.6.2-3+deb9u2
>             network-manager-gnome version 1.4.4-1+deb9u1
>             firmware-iwlwifi version 20161130-4
>             gnome version 3.22.2
>             Debian GNU/Linux version 9 (stretch) 64 bits
>
>         ➤ I am writing to report this unsolicited behaviour:
>
>         Steps:
>
>             1 - Fresh Debian with wired internet access
>             2 - access to network settings require root password (this
>             is ok)

That actually sounds like a bug.

>             3 - install firmware-iwlwifi
>             4 - access to network settings (LAN and Wi-Fi) do not
>             require password anymore, whatever user is logged in, even
>             after reboot.

This is the behaviour I expect in GNOME.  You would need to
specifically configure it to prevent this.

>             5 - uninstall firmware-iwlwifi restore root password
>             requirement.
>
>         I've found no info about this behaviour in the documentation,
>         nor how to prevent this to happen without consent.
>
>         ➤ I would like to know how to preserve or restore the primary
>         network-manager secure behaviour while having Wi-Fi functional.

firmware-iwlwifi doesn't contain any code that would change the
authentication configuration.

Larkinson's Law: All laws are basically false.