firmware-iwlwifi disable network-manager's root password requirement for every user

Dear maintainers,

this concerns :

network-manager version 1.6.2-3+deb9u2
network-manager-gnome version 1.4.4-1+deb9u1
firmware-iwlwifi version 20161130-4
gnome version 3.22.2
Debian GNU/Linux version 9 (stretch) 64 bits

I am writing to report this unsolicited behaviour:

Steps:

1 - Fresh Debian with wired internet access
2 - access to network settings require root password (this is ok)
3 - install firmware-iwlwifi
4 - access to network settings (LAN and Wi-Fi) do not require password anymore, whatever user is logged in, even after reboot.
5 - uninstall firmware-iwlwifi restore root password requirement.

I've found no info about this behaviour in the documentation, nor how to prevent this to happen without consent.

I would like to know how to preserve or restore the primary network-manager secure behaviour while having Wi-Fi functional.

Yours faithfully

Cacquarante