Re: Debian kernel contributions

Du schriebst in gmane.linux.debian.devel.kernel:
> Hello,
>
> My name is Romain, I am an upstream linux contributor and I would like
> to contribute on downstream projects like Debian. In my free time, I
> love hacking (and beer too! but that's another business :p) . I would
> want to focus on kernel development and perhaps a bit of kernel
> packaging too.
>
> I have discussed with Vincent Bernat on IRC, he redirected me to this
> ML. I am also on IRC (with the nick "rpr"), I am only connected to
> #debian-kernel for now.
>
> I would glad to help, what would you recommend ?

We have a huge backlog of open, old bug reports. One good way to
get familiar with Debian maintenance is to go through old bugs,
ping the reporters if those are still current (or even reproducible)
and close useless reports.

Eventually you'll find some bugs which are still unfixed in current
kernels, so they could be forwarded to the attention of the relevant
subsystem maintainers.

You might also run into bugs fixed upstream which are not fixed in
our stable release. If the patches fixing these bugs are abiding
the stable kernel guidelines, consider forwarding them to stable@.

If you notice any bugs suggesting changes to the kernel configs
or if you see anything worth changing in our packaging, consider
create a pull request on salsa.debian.org.

Cheers,
        Moritz