Re: Testing git-debrebase/dgit in the linux git repo

Bastian Blank writes ("Re: Testing git-debrebase/dgit in the linux git repo"):
> We are using merge requests in gitlab, to review our work.  This means
> we have merges all over the place.

I think it will be necessary for me to write some kind of script to
convert your existing history into something I can use as test cases
for gdr.

> I tried using git-debrebase on one of my other packages.  To mimic
> merge request I used merges to introduce new upstream versions.

That would not work at all.  Sorry if I gave the impression that it
would be a sensible thing to try.

> I'm really missing from the documentation how a git tree using debrebase
> should look like, where the merges should be.

Well, without the experimental merge feature, there are supposed to be
none made by the user.  See `OTHER MERGES' in git-debrebase(5).  The
experimental merge feature is undocumented I'm afraid, so that's why
you can't find it in the docs.

*With* it enabled, the merges that are expected are between two gdr
interchange branches.  Ie, two people both do legal git-debrebase
things, and they just git merge at some point.  Both parents must be
gdr branches.

If one side wants to incorporate a new upstream, then that would be
   git-debrebase new-upstream
on that branch.  Then maybe merge the result with a gdr branch that
didn't have that done, and see if
  git-debrebase --experimntal-merge-resolution status
does anything useful.

gdr new-upstream on both sides will not work unless one of the
upstreams is ff of the other...

Regards,
Ian.