Re: Testing git-debrebase/dgit in the linux git repo

On Wed, 2018-10-03 at 23:08 +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
[...]
> Currently we merge between the sid and master branches, but the
> corresponding upstream branches are not (and should not be) merged.  We
> may need to implement a custom merge strategy to make this work.  It
> sems that git-debrebase does not (yet) deal well with merges; see the
> description of the "--experimntal-merge-resolution" option in its
> manual page.
[...]

git-debrebase(5) goes into more detail about this.  Basically it
doesn't work after any merge commit where the new tree is not identical
to one of the parents.  So a merge from master to sid would be OK (the
result should match master even if it's not fast-forward) but a merge
in the other direction would not.  But worse than that, a non-fast-
forward merge from a remote tracking branch to the corresponding local
branch would also break it.

So I can't see how git-debrebase is usable for team-maintained packages
yet.  A "git pull" that merges is not safe, and a "git pull" that
rebases is also not safe because you must use "git debrebase" for all
rebases.

I thought I was told that team maintenance should be OK.  Did I
misunderstand?  Am I missing something?

Sturgeon's Law: Ninety percent of everything is crap.