Re: Possibilities for a special Azure or cloud Linux package

On Sat, Nov 18, 2017 at 01:48:53AM +0000, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> We've spent the last decade slowly moving away from platform-specific
> to generic multiplatform kernels on ARM (and, to a lesser extent, x86).
>  I strongly disagree with adding a new flavour that would be specific
> to one vendor's platform.

This is what I also told them.

> However, if it is possible to create a single flavour that provides
> those sorts of enhancements for multiple cloud platforms, I think that
> would be worthwhile.

Okay.  I will explore this variant and see if it provides the benefits
we seek.

> Those are basically the same criteria we normally use, so I don't
> understand your desire to add a featureset.

The people from Microsoft are a bit woried about introducing patches
that break stuff for others except the Azure platform.  E.g. support
for non-Azure HyperV targets or hardware that they use in a bit weird
ways.  So it makes QA easier by limiting the effects of the patches to a
pretty limited set of system configurations.  We should be able to
automatically do tests on those in the future.

Bastian

--
Time is fluid ... like a river with currents, eddies, backwash.
		-- Spock, "The City on the Edge of Forever", stardate 3134.0