Re: Stretch and Power9 support

On Wed, 2017-04-12 at 16:58 +0200, Frederic Bonnard wrote:
> Hi,
> several patch sets have been pushed upstream linux (few did not reach it
> yet) concerning additional Power9 support (next 4.11 should support P9
> pretty well).
> Several of these sets were cherrypicked by Canonical into Zesty Zapus (4.10.0 kernel).
>
> I understand stretch is going to have linux kernel 4.9.18

It will be 4.9.something.

> and experimental has 4.10 at the moment.
>
> If I want to see those enablements into Debian, what is my best option ? :)
> - submit backports of those sets into stretch's 4.9.18 : I'm not sure the Debian
>   policy would allow that easily, right ?

It really depends on how intrusive they are.

>   According to https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/ch03.en.html#maintain-stable
>   those patches should be related to important bugs. As far as P9 is
>   concerned, what does it correspond to ?
>   http://kernel-handbook.alioth.debian.org/ch-bugs.html#s9.1.2 seems to
>   say that hardware support can lead to "important" bugs.

Yes, missing support for POWER9 would be 'important'.

> - can we expect an upgrade to 4.10 or 4.11 in Stretch in a later point release ?

No, we don't make major version updates in point releases.

> - when to expect 4.11 in Debian unstable/expererimental ?

Should be in experimental shortly after it's released.

I'm not a reverse psychological virus.  Please don't copy me into your
sig.