Re: Resolving the kernel debug symbols vs signing problem

On Wed, 2017-04-12 at 07:50 +0000, Niels Thykier wrote:
> Ben Hutchings:
> > When implementing signed kernel packages, I wanted to make the signed
> > image packages (built from linux-signed) take un-suffixed names so that
> > existing procedures to install specific kernel versions would pick the
> > signed packages, and users would be discouraged from installing
> > unsigned packages.
> >

> Hi,
>
> That makes sense to me. :)  I particularly liked that part of the design
> choice. :)
>
> > This has interacted poorly with dak's handling of 'auto-built' debug
> > symbol packages, as those are built by src:linux but don't include the
> > '-unsigned' suffix in their names.  The debug symbol packages are added
> > to the overrides file but are later automatically pruned, so that
> > uploads that don't add new binary packages may still require NEW
> > processing.
>
> It almost certainly does.

Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

[...]
> > I think this has to be solved before the stable release.
> >

> I am probably missing something here, but wouldn't it be possible to go
> back to the original -dbg (as a "worst case" option) and defer these
> changes to buster?  Not saying I like it, I just want to know whether I
> missed something.

We could do, but do you think it's OK to do so for all architectures?
Previously we did not, mainly due to concern about bloating the
archive.

> > Therefore I intend to rename the binary packages as follows with the
> > next uploads to unstable:
> >
> > - src:linux builds linux-image packages without a name suffix
> > - src:linux-signed builds linux-image packages with a '-signed' suffix
> > - src:linux-latest builds linux-image meta-packages that depend on the
> >   '-signed' package where available
> >

> This would undo the very nice property of the image packages being
> signed "by default", wouldn't it?

Yes, exactly.

[...]
> > (Also, if dak will not be signing packages in time for stretch,
> > src:linux-signed must be removed from testing and the other packages
> > changed accordingly.  I *will* *not* personally sign kernels for a
> > stable release.)
> >
> > Ben.
> >

> Ok - I wouldn't want that responsibility either.  If the signed ones are
> easy to re-implement, perhaps just switch now and add a blocker bug to
> #820036 filed against linux.

I'm not sure which switch you're referring to here.

> That way, testing is closer to an
> release-ready state, which is generally what we want right now.

I'm not a reverse psychological virus.  Please don't copy me into your
sig.