i2o drivers not needed after all!

On Wed, 01 Jul 2015 19:05:57 +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:

> Please note that i2o will be going away entirely (disabled in 4.0,
> removed upstream in 4.2).

(The above quote is from Debian bug report 790722, now archived.)

And so it did.  I was able to build custom kernels which included these drivers
by enabling them in staging for 4.0 and 4.1.  For 4.2 and later, I created
a patch file that added these drivers back.  But recently, while researching
something else, I happened to stumble upon something on the internet which
suggested that the dpt_i2o driver, which is still in the kernel, might work in
my situation, since I have an Adaptec i2o raid controller.  I reviewed the
boot logs and discovered that this driver tried to load, but it failed to
initialize because it was unable to reserve some memory.  I wondered if it
was trying to obtain resources already reserved by i2o_core.  So I blacklisted
i2o_core.  dpt_i2o came right up!  It creates the device as /dev/sda instead
of /dev/i2o/hda, but that's fine.  As another happy coincidence, I no longer need
local mods to udev to get the symbolic links to the disk created in /dev/disk.
(udev has dropped support for the /dev/i2o/hd* devices).

Of course, with unmodified newer kernels, I won't need to blacklist i2o_core,
since it no longer exists.  The problem was that i2o_core always loaded first,
and therefore the load of dpt_i2o always failed.  Therefore, I thought I needed
i2o_core.  But as it turns out, I don't.  dpt_i2o is working just fine for me.
All's well that ends well!

Regards,

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell    <zlinuxman@fastmail.com>