Re: jessie won't install/boot on a Dell Poweredge R815

Ben Hutchings wrote:

> On Tue, 2016-06-28 at 00:49 +0200, deloptes wrote:
>> Jeffrey Mark Siskind wrote:
>>
>> > I had big issues with mptsas and 3.16 in jessie, so I am still using
>> > 3.2.0-4-rt-amd64
>> >
>> > Will jessie run with 3.2.0-4-rt-amd64? If so, where do I get it and how
>> > do I install it on a fresh jessie install that wasn't dist-upgraded
>> > from wheezy?
>> >
>> > Jeff (http://engineering.purdue.edu/~qobi)
>>
>> Yes I run it with that kernel since wheezy. You can get it from wheezy
>> https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/linux-image-3.2.0-4-rt-amd64
>
> Any particular reason why you use the -rt variant?

I wanted to benchmark some operations there, but as you heard its a bit
paint to bring it up after kernel upgrades, so I still did not have the
opportunity to do something and see if -rt really matters in my case.

>> https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/linux-headers-3.2.0-4-rt-amd64
>> https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/linux-image-3.2.0-4-rt-amd64-dbg
>
> The proper way is to add the wheezy-security suite to
> /etc/apt/sources.list.  (All updates to wheezy now go to the wheezy-
> security suite.)
>

>> Here is what I have and bit of background
>>
>> # uname -a
>> Linux lisa 3.2.0-4-rt-amd64 #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Debian 3.2.68-1+deb7u4
>> x86_64 GNU/Linux
>>
>> # cat /etc/debian_version
>> 8.5
>>
>> - Disk controller is mptsas here not mpt2sas as you posted - no idea what
>> is the difference.
> [...]
>
> So far as I can see, mptsas is for SAS 1.0 (3 Gbps) controllers and
> mpt2sas is for SAS 2.0 (6 Gbps) controllers.  They are two entirely
> separate drivers, probably with different sets of bugs.

Might be separate drivers but we have similar problems after upgrades from
wheezy to jessie.
I think OP might have one of my 2 cases (systemd vs init or kernel). of
course it could be anything.

I have 2 small Geod machines that I need to upgrade as well and I'll plan a
weekend for that. There for example no recent kernel runs - the latest
working is 2.6.26. It took me about a month of investigation - but its
doing what it should since 2007. I think the time spent has paid off
already.