Re: jessie won't install/boot on a Dell Poweredge R815

On Tue, 2016-06-28 at 00:49 +0200, deloptes wrote:
> Jeffrey Mark Siskind wrote:
>
> >    I had big issues with mptsas and 3.16 in jessie, so I am still using
> >    3.2.0-4-rt-amd64
> >
> > Will jessie run with 3.2.0-4-rt-amd64? If so, where do I get it and how do
> > I install it on a fresh jessie install that wasn't dist-upgraded from
> > wheezy?
> >
> >     Jeff (http://engineering.purdue.edu/~qobi)
>
> Yes I run it with that kernel since wheezy. You can get it from wheezy
> https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/linux-image-3.2.0-4-rt-amd64

Any particular reason why you use the -rt variant?

> https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/linux-headers-3.2.0-4-rt-amd64
> https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/linux-image-3.2.0-4-rt-amd64-dbg

The proper way is to add the wheezy-security suite to
/etc/apt/sources.list.  (All updates to wheezy now go to the wheezy-
security suite.)

> Here is what I have and bit of background
>
> # uname -a
> Linux lisa 3.2.0-4-rt-amd64 #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Debian 3.2.68-1+deb7u4 x86_64
> GNU/Linux
>
> # cat /etc/debian_version
> 8.5
>
> - Disk controller is mptsas here not mpt2sas as you posted - no idea what is
> the difference.
[...]

So far as I can see, mptsas is for SAS 1.0 (3 Gbps) controllers and
mpt2sas is for SAS 2.0 (6 Gbps) controllers.  They are two entirely
separate drivers, probably with different sets of bugs.

If at first you don't succeed, you're doing about average.