Re: LVM Merge

On Mon, 2016-05-16 at 06:57 +0000, Tom Jay wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to merge an LVM snapshot into the original volume. If I
> look in the man page for lvconvert, under '--merge', it says:
>
> To check if your kernel supports the snapshot merge feature, look for
> 'snapshot-merge' in the output of 'dmsetup targets'.

That text is incorrect.  This command will only tell you the versions
of device-mapper drivers that are already loaded.

> If I run 'dmsetup targets', I get the following:
>
> root@debian:~# dmsetup targets
> crypt            v1.11.1
> striped          v1.4.1
> linear           v1.1.1
> error            v1.0.1
> root@debian:~#

But if you run 'modprobe dm-snapshot-merge' first, it will show you
that snapshot-merge is supported.

> I'm running a standard install of Debian 7.9:
>
> root@debian:~# uname -a
> Linux debian 3.2.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.2.78-1 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> root@debian:~#
>
> Does anyone have any idea how to add snapshot-merge into the kernel?

This kernel version does support snapshot merge.

73.46% of all statistics are made up.