Re: Converting kernel svn to git

On Wed, 2015-08-05 at 16:01 -0700, maximilian attems wrote:
[...]
> > I started on a conversion that would include stitching in the upstream
> > history for the linux package, but that depends on how we store patches
> > in git and there isn't yet an obvious winner there (git-dpm vs git
> > -debcherry vs dgit vs ...).  If the patches should be applied as git
> > commits, then we can't represent all of history because sometimes the
> > patches didn't apply.  And featuresets don't fit into this at all.
> >
> > I think that the best thing to do now is to do a straight conversion of
> > the debian directory only.  We can stitch in upstream later.
> >
> > Here's where I am with the conversion:
> > https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/kernel/temp/
>
> cool.
>
> One proposition why not keep this as linux-debian-history-git
> and start from scratch with what is inside of the latest svn.
> This would reduce the number of branches and tags and might
> be a cleaner restart. What do you think?

No, I want that history and a break in history will just make my life
harder.  If you only want some of the branches you can get those.

> > Known bugs:
[...]
> On the other hand, none of the known bugs you mention is a show-stopper
> for the transition from my side.

Yes but they would be harder to fix later.  (git filter-branch is
powerful but it invalidates everyone else's clones.)

Sturgeon's Law: Ninety percent of everything is crap.