Re: Converting kernel svn to git

Hello everyone,

On Wed, Aug 05, 2015 at 12:46:47PM +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> We've been talking about this for at least 6 years, and it's well past
> time to do it.

thanks a lot Ben for pushing this.

> (I think most developers are already using git-svn, but that doesn't
> properly handle tags and merges so I've never been able to make use of
> it.)

I'd be delighted to fully forget svn usage, as git svn is still a
foreign git.

> I started on a conversion that would include stitching in the upstream
> history for the linux package, but that depends on how we store patches
> in git and there isn't yet an obvious winner there (git-dpm vs git
> -debcherry vs dgit vs ...).  If the patches should be applied as git
> commits, then we can't represent all of history because sometimes the
> patches didn't apply.  And featuresets don't fit into this at all.
>
> I think that the best thing to do now is to do a straight conversion of
> the debian directory only.  We can stitch in upstream later.
>
> Here's where I am with the conversion:
> https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/kernel/temp/

cool.

One proposition why not keep this as linux-debian-history-git
and start from scratch with what is inside of the latest svn.
This would reduce the number of branches and tags and might
be a cleaner restart. What do you think?

> Known bugs:
>
> linux.git
> ---------
>
> Commits tagged 2.6.12-2, 2.6.16-{15,16,17}, 2.6.18.dfsg.1-24etch2,
> 2.6.26-{17,20} are detached.
>
> Several weird merges in early history.
>
> Many merges in svn are not recorded in git, but this is presumably due
> to lack of mergeinfo in old svn versions.
>
> Commit tagged 2.6.24-7 looks like a 4-way merge which shouldn't be
> possible in svn!  This might be due to svn mergeinfo accumulating
> branches.
>
> linux-latest.git
> ----------------
>
> Tip of wheezy branch is detached from its parent
>
> Many merges from sid to wheezy-backports are not recorded
>
> No squeeze branch
>
> linux-tools.git
> ---------------
>
> Many merges from sid to trunk are not recorded
>
> firmware-nonfree.git
>
> Tip of wheezy branch is detached from its parent
>
> What do we do with the sid branch?
>
> The 0.19 tag is in a firmware-nonfree subdirectory
>
> Merge before 0.4+etchnhalf.1 should not be recorded as a merge

On the other hand, none of the known bugs you mention is a show-stopper
for the transition from my side.

kind regards,

--
maks