Re: linux-image-3.14-2-armmp description out of date

On Tue, 2014-07-22 at 20:50 +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Tue, 2014-07-22 at 20:18 +0100, David Goodenough wrote:
> > In the above package the description reads:-
> >
> > The Linux kernel 3.14 and modules for use on ARMv7 multiplatform kernel for
> > Marvell Armada 370/xp, Freescale iMX5x/iMX6.
> >
> > Reading the list of DTB files it includes, this list is rather out of date.
>
> It's not really grammatical either!
>
> > Now (hopefully) this list will grow with most new kernel versions, so
> > continuously updating the description in the list might be a bit of a load on
> > whoever did it, so perhaps it should mention the main families, but it
> > should also point people at the file list for the DTBs for the complete
> > detailed list.
>
> I don't think we know exactly which machines it currently works on.
> Just because a DTB is included, doesn't mean all the drivers are
> included and working.  But the intent is that all ARMv7 machines we can
> support, will be supported by this package, and the description should
> be updated to reflect that.

I've been thinking that for a while too but always stumbled over what it
should actually say and so never did/said anything.

How about:

        The Linux kernel 3.14 and modules for use on ARMv7 platforms
        which are supported by the multiplatform kernel. This includes
        but is not limited to:
        .
           - thing
           - other thing
           - one more thing
        .
        For the full list of supported platforms see...

This has issues though:

      * "supported by the multiplatform kernel" is meaningless to the
        average user (and even to in-the-know-but-non-ARM folks I
        suspect). Perhaps just drop the entire "which are supported..."
        bit?
      * As David observed upthread the list is bound to get out of date.
      * The link between "Supported" and "has a DTB file in the package"
        is a bit weak.
      * Where should "see..." go to?

In theory a list could be autogenerated from the DTBs (they have a model
string in them). Or I suppose we could endeavour to keep it in sync with
which CONFIG_ARCH_* and CONFIG_MACH_* .config options are enabled.

We shouldn't forget the armmp-lpae flavour too...

Ian.