Re: New debconf template for the linux package

On Mon, Jul 07, 2014 at 10:03:04AM +0100, Justin B Rye wrote:
> Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > I would write something like:
> >
> > Boot loader configuration must be updated to load initramfs
> >  This kernel package will build an 'initramfs' file
> >  (/boot/initrd.img-@abiname@) that should be loaded by the boot loader
> >  in addition to the kernel itself.  The initramfs enables a more
> >  flexible boot process, and it is likely that future kernel versions
> >  will not boot without an initramfs.
> >  .
> >  The currently running kernel has been booted without an initramfs.
> >  You should reconfigure your boot loader to load the initramfs for
> >  Linux version @abiname@ and for each later version.
> >
> > But I think that still needs improvement, for example to say clearly
> > that each kernel version needs its own initramfs.
>
> Also putting the word "MIPS" back in to reassure users this really is
> aimed at them:
>

>   Boot loader configuration must be updated to load initramfs
>    This kernel package will build an "initramfs" file
>    (/boot/initrd.img-@abiname@) for the boot loader to use in
>    addition to the kernel itself. This method, formerly unsupported
>    on MIPS, enables a more flexible boot process, and future kernel
>    versions may require a corresponding initrd.img to boot.
>    .
>    The currently running kernel has been booted without an initramfs.
>    You should reconfigure your boot loader to load the initramfs for
>    Linux version @abiname@ and for each later version.

Thanks a lot Ben and Justin for this new version. I only have a comment
on the latest part. In most cases, the bootloaders use the symlinks
provided by the linux-image packages. I am not sure it would be clear
to the user in that case. Can we maybe add a sentence at the end like
"This might be done by pointing to the initrd.img symlink created by
this kernel package".