Re: New debconf template for the linux package

On Mon, 2014-07-07 at 10:03 +0100, Justin B Rye wrote:
> Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > I would write something like:
> >
> > Boot loader configuration must be updated to load initramfs
> >  This kernel package will build an 'initramfs' file
> >  (/boot/initrd.img-@abiname@) that should be loaded by the boot loader
> >  in addition to the kernel itself.  The initramfs enables a more
> >  flexible boot process, and it is likely that future kernel versions
> >  will not boot without an initramfs.
> >  .
> >  The currently running kernel has been booted without an initramfs.
> >  You should reconfigure your boot loader to load the initramfs for
> >  Linux version @abiname@ and for each later version.
> >
> > But I think that still needs improvement, for example to say clearly
> > that each kernel version needs its own initramfs.
>
> Also putting the word "MIPS" back in to reassure users this really is
> aimed at them:

Good point.

[...]
> I also might have suggested moving this from a debconf note to a
> NEWS.Debian file, but that would reduce its visibility (since
> apt-listchanges only shows them when you're upgrading a new version
> of an already-installed package).

We can and have worked around that by putting a NEWS.Debian file in the
metapackages built from linux-latest.  However, in this case there is a
risk of failure to boot in the future, so the message should appear even
for people that don't use apt-listchanges.  NEWS.Debian also isn't
translateable.

Quantity is no substitute for quality, but it's the only one we've got.