Re: Netconsole scripts for Debian

Ritesh Raj Sarraf <rrs@debian.org> writes:

> On 06/17/2014 03:00 PM, Pavel Odintsov wrote:
>> Hello, folks!
>>
>> I'm prepared and thoroughly tested scripts for managing netconsole
>> kernel facility in Debian 6/7. Netconsole facility is very useful for
>> debugging kernel bugs.
>>
>> These scripts are inspired by CentOS 6 netconsole scripts in some
>> cases and work in same way. Scripts are written in clean bash.
>>
>> All scripts and configuration you can find here:
>> https://github.com/FastVPSEestiOu/debian_netconsole
>>
>> Yes, it's possible to configure netconsole statically (i.e. as
>> /etc/modprobe.d/netconsole.conf) but it's a bad way because it relies
>> on network configuration (i.e. gateway address, server address) which
>> may be changed and netconsole will not work.
>>
>> I tested both startup option:
>> 1) As /etc/init.d/netconsole
>> 2) As /etc/network/if-up.d/netconsole script
>>
>> IMHO, the first variant is more reliable and convenient for this task.
>> But both variants have some troubles because some network cards (like
>> e1000) call /etc/network/if-up.d and /etc/init.d scripts on network
>> level BEFORE real network initialization.
>>
>> I fixed this issue only by adding fixed timeout in my
>> /etc/init.d/netconsole script. In the same way this issue was fixed in
>> RH. Maybe you can provide more convenient solution?
>>
>> Thank you for any feedback!
>>

> You should add support for it in initrd. netconsole is more useful at
> that stage. In real boot, why would one want netconsole if syslog is
> running.

To debug a driver/kernel crash.

netconsole is generally a very useful feature for oops debugging on
laptops and other devices with no serial ports.  Having some scripts
making it simpler to configure sounds like a great idea.  Will these
depend on configfs being mounted? Or are they only using module
parameters?

Bjørn