Re: linux-headers lying about kernel version is breaking other module packages

On Thu, 2014-11-27 at 17:08 -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> I was trying to compile loop-aes-source, but it keeps failing.

Why not use dm-crypt?

> For some
> reason it kept thinking the kernel version was 2.6, when it is in
> fact 3.16.  The problem is that it looks at the VERSION and PATCHLEVEL
> in the Makefile of the headers, which for some reason is being modified
> to read 2 and 6 in the debian kernel package.

We don't modify the main Makefile.  You're looking at a wrapper
makefile.

> What is the point in doing this?  Why punish module source packages that
> correctly know how to handle 3.x kernels just to deal with old broken
> ones that assumed 2.6 forever?

grepping a makefile is not 'correct'.

Q.  Which is the greater problem in the world today, ignorance or apathy?
A.  I don't know and I couldn't care less.