Re: linux-headers lying about kernel version is breaking other module packages

On Fri, Nov 28, 2014 at 08:25:56AM +0000, Ian Campbell wrote:
> It looks to me like you have discovered a bug[0] rather than some sort
> of conspiracy against well maintained module packages. I recommend
> filing it in the BTS as such.

OK, I will do so.  I just thought I should ask before filing a bug in
case this was done for some useful purpose.  No need for extra bugs
after all, and it wasn't obvious to me that it wasn't done on purpose.

> [0] The lines in debian/rules.real which write VERSION and PATCHLEVEL
> into the headers package are untouched since they were first added back
> in the 2.6 days, I think it most likely that they were simply forgotten
> about rather than deliberately trying to break out of tree modules.

Excellent.

One bug report coming up.

--
Len Sorensen