Re: Kernel version for jessie

On Thu, 2014-05-01 at 17:29 +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
[...]
> The earlier we freeze the kernel, the more work will be required to
> backport fixes and hardware enablement during the jessie support period.
> So I think that 3.16 would be the best fit.
>
> It is also very unlikely that a PREEMPT_RT patchset will be available
> for 3.15 or 3.17, but there probably will be one for 3.16.
>
> I won't have time to take on maintenance of another longterm stable
> branch besides 3.2, so I think it is important that the version we use
> can be based on a longterm stable branch maintained by someone else.  On
> that basis, I would like to propose to Greg K-H that his next longterm
> branch be based on 3.16.
[...]

I did talk to Greg about this, but as you probably all know by now, he
selected 3.14 as there are other major users with earlier freeze dates
than us.

Ubuntu 14.10 is planned to use Linux 3.16, in which case Ubuntu will
maintain a 3.16-stable branch (not blessed by kernel.org, but still
following the same rules).

So we have a choice between:

Linux 3.14-stable
- Supported by Greg for about 2 years after release (March 2014)
- As an official kernel.org branch, it is likely to get some more
  testing and review, and more backports from upstream maintainers

Linux 3.16-stable
- Supported by Ubuntu kernel team for about 15-18 months after distro
  release (October 2014)
- Will support more current hardware and need fewer driver backports

Both of these will be supported until about the same time that wheezy
reaches EOL, which is when I intend to stop maintaining 3.2-stable.  At
that point, I would be prepared to take over maintainership of either of
the newer branches.

There's not an obvious winner out of these two options, but we should
choose fairly soon.  Please speak up with arguments either way.

Kids!  Bringing about Armageddon can be dangerous.  Do not attempt it in
your own home. - Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman, `Good Omens'