Re: Enabling power management on Debian

On Wed, 2013-09-18 at 20:45 -0700, Josef Bailey wrote:
> Hello
>
> I'm trying to enable power management on my debian box .. currently im on wheezy Linux debian 3.2.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.2.46-1+deb7u1 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> .. I have done this so far
>
> apt-get install cpufrequtils sysfsutils

It should just work without any special userland packages.

[...]
> cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep "model name"
>
> model name	: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3317U CPU @ 1.70GHz
>
> modprobe p4-clockmod

In Linux 3.2 this processor should be supported by acpi-cpufreq, I
think.  Certainly not p4-clockmod.

The kernel should automatically load the correct driver (with the help
of udev).

> The next step is to enable the correct driver but when i modprobe pr-clockmod it looks like something is happening but it isn't .. lsmod |grep p4-clockmod or even just lsmod |grep p4 dosen't show anything
>
> How do i get the correct driver so i can do the next step witch is modprobe cpufreq_conservative ?

The correct governor is usually cpufreq_ondemand, which is used by
default.

Lowery's Law:
             If it jams, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.