RE: Debian and Hyper-V VM drivers

On Wed, 2012-05-16 at 01:37 +0000, Mike Sterling wrote:
> On Monday, May 14, 2012 3:22 PM, Ben Hutchings [mailto:ben@decadent.org.uk] wrote:
>
> > > Let me introduce myself - my team is part of the Open Source
> > > Technology Center at Microsoft, and we're responsible for a set of
> > > drivers in the Linux kernel to provide an optimized experience for
> > > running paravirtualized Linux on top of Microsoft's hypervisor,
> > > Hyper-V. The drivers have exited the kernel as of 3.4 and now exist in
> > > the following locations:
> > >
> > > /drivers/hv (core Hyper-V bus driver, provides communication between
> > > Dom0 and DomU, as well as the hv_utils driver, which provides time
> > > synchronization,  heartbeat, and integrated shutdown)
> > > /drivers/scsi/storvsc_drv.c (storage driver) /drivers/net/hyperv
> > > (network driver) /tools/hv (KVP - key value pair exchange, a way to
> > > pass messages and datagrams between virtual machines and the root)
> > >
> > > We've done a lot of work with Andy Whitcroft at Canonical to get the
> > > drivers integrated into Ubuntu 12.04 and higher. What we'd like to
> > > discuss is doing the same thing for Debian.
> > >
> > > What would be the best way to start or discuss this effort?
> >
> > The drivers were already updated (in 3.2.15-1).
>
> Great, thanks. We've done some investigation into the current status
> of Wheezy on Hyper-V, and as of 3.2.0-2, there's about a five patch
> differential between linux-next and the 3.2.0-2 kernel. How can I
> update to the 3.2.15-1 kernel? I installed Wheezy using the latest
> testing ISO, but apt-get doesn't want to show a new kernel.
[...]

In wheezy the current version is 3.2.16-1.  The kernel version string
doesn't match this because it's used as an ABI version and we try to
avoid frequent ABI changes.  This is explained in:

http://kernel-handbook.alioth.debian.org/ch-versions.html#s-version-types

The two most common things in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.