Re: wheezy and gcc 4.3 (and maybe 4.5)

On Sun, 2012-12-02 at 14:03 +0100, dAgeCKo wrote:

> > Well, we have used gcc 4.4 for the official kernel packages since Linux
> > 2.6.34.  So it should work.
>
> Unfortunately, whether I use gcc 4.4 or another version, here is the
> error I have when compiling the kernel:
>
>    CHK     include/linux/version.h
>    CHK     include/generated/utsrelease.h
>    CALL    scripts/checksyscalls.sh
>    CHK     include/generated/compile.h
>    AS      arch/x86/kernel/entry_64.o
> /tmp/cc8aexwo.s: Assembler messages:
> /tmp/cc8aexwo.s: Error: .size expression for do_hypervisor_callback does
> not evaluate to a constant
> make[3]: *** [arch/x86/kernel/entry_64.o] Erreur 1
>
>  From what I could have understood on various internet pages, this is
> most certainly due to a wrong gcc version.
[...]

This is related to a binutils change, not gcc.  This particular instance
was fixed by:

commit 371c394af27ab7d1e58a66bc19d9f1f3ac1f67b4
Author: Alexander van Heukelum <heukelum@fastmail.fm>
Date:   Fri Mar 11 21:59:38 2011 +0100

    x86, binutils, xen: Fix another wrong size directive

The commit message has further explanation of the general problem.

It is easier to change the specification to fit the program than vice versa.