Re: wheezy and gcc 4.3 (and maybe 4.5)

Well, we have used gcc 4.4 for the official kernel packages since Linux
2.6.34.  So it should work.

Unfortunately, whether I use gcc 4.4 or another version, here is the error I have when compiling the kernel:

  CHK     include/linux/version.h
  CHK     include/generated/utsrelease.h
  CALL    scripts/checksyscalls.sh
  CHK     include/generated/compile.h
  AS      arch/x86/kernel/entry_64.o
/tmp/cc8aexwo.s: Assembler messages:
/tmp/cc8aexwo.s: Error: .size expression for do_hypervisor_callback does not evaluate to a constant
make[3]: *** [arch/x86/kernel/entry_64.o] Erreur 1

From what I could have understood on various internet pages, this is most certainly due to a wrong gcc version. So whether I don't set the correct gcc version correctly (which can be possible), whether the error is somewhere else.
Here is what I do to set the correct gcc version:
export CC=gcc-4.4

Then I compile the kernel with this:

fakeroot make-kpkg --initrd --revision=1.0 kernel_image

Maybe someone here can help me ?

You would have to install gcc-4.3 in a 'squeeze' environment, perhaps
using schroot or pbuilder or a virtual machine.

But you can also save some time by bisecting through the old packages at
<http://snapshot.debian.org/package/linux/>  and
<http://snapshot.debian.org/package/linux-2.6/>.

I will have a look about these. It looks interesting.

Thanks in advance.

PS: I hope I subscribed to the good mailing list, if not, please point
me to the good one.

debian-kernel is the specific list for our Linux kernel packages.