Re: [Q]: linux 3.4 (LTS)

On Mon, 2012-08-27 at 09:51 +0900, Hideki Yamane wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  I saw a post in https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/8/20/675 by Greg-KH
>
> >> As I'm getting a few questions about this, and I realized that I never
> >> sent out an email about this, yes, the 3.4 kernel tree will be the next
> >> -longterm kernel that I will be maintaining for at least 2 years.
> >>
> >> Currently I'm maintaining the following stable kernel trees for the
> >> following amount of time:
> >>	3.0 - for at least one more year
> >>	3.4 - for at least two years
> >>	3.5 - until 3.6.1 is out
> >>
> >> Hope this helps clear up any rumors floating around.  If anyone has any
> >> questions, please let me know.
>
>  Just a question:
>   3.4 is also LTS. Using 3.2 for Wheezy cycle is better than 3.4?

Don't know for sure, but we are committed to using a base version of
3.2.

>   Using old kernel is sometimes hard to import new drivers for new
>   hardware, I guess. I know 3.2.x is stable enough and we're in freeze
>   already, but Wheezy kernel will be used until 2016 or so.

Which is why I volunteered to maintain 3.2.y and intend to do so for
that period.  (Which you may note is longer than Greg will maintain
3.4.y.)

>   If we choose
>   3.4, then can get nice features and new drivers with less kernel
>   maintainer team work, it's better.

We can also get more regressions, too.  Drivers and other features can
often be backported; in fact, we've done that already.

One of the nice things about standards is that there are so many of them.