Re: Linux features for wheezy

Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> writes:

> On Sat, 2012-06-02 at 23:47 +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
>> We have about 2 weeks to the freeze in which to enable/backport any
>> extra features wanted for wheezy.  I have a 4-day weekend now but I am
>> not going to spend it all on Debian hacking!
>>
>> Here's a list of a few to be considered:
>>
>> - [linux-tools] build more tools:
>>   - hv (something to do with Hyper-V; requested by MS)
>>   - usbip (#568362); the current usbip userland package is apparently
>>     *incompatible* with the usbip driver we build!
>
> The above are now done.
>
>>   - lguest (#457652)
>
> I now agree with Bastian and Moritz that we shouldn't enable lguest at
> all.  i386-on-i386 with no stable PV or management ABI is not very
> interesting.  kernel-package can build an lguest package, so let people
> build both kernel and userland parts of it that way if they want.
>
>> - btrfs improvements (rebalance, general performance, error handling)
>>   - do these have any dependencies on VFS changes?
>
> Bastian?  This now has a bug number, #678797.
>
>> - network teaming driver
>
> This turned out to depend on too many other networking changes, so I
> gave up on it.
>
>> - network byte queue limits (anti-bufferbloat)
>
> Still to look at.
>
>> - [armhf] LPAE support
>
> Arnaud?

if one boots a kernel with LPAE enabled on a system not supporting LPAE,
it'll stop booting very early with the "well known message" :

Error: unrecognized/unsupported processor variant

This means it should be enabled only on SoC with LPAE support and afaik,
none of our armhf platforms have it.

>> - procfs hidepid and hidegid mount options (#669028)
>
> Done.
>
>> - CPU autoloading support
>>   - discussed in http://bugs.debian.org/654957#20
>>   - depends on conversion of CPU sysdevs to ordinary devices
>
> Done.
>
>> - fixes for THP with slow writeback (#675493)
>> - seccomp filters and no_new_privs (#675615)
>> - yama LSM
>> - [arm] BPF JIT compiler
>
> Still to look at.

hm. I thought it was already in 3.2 but looks like it was not. BPF JIT
on arm is limited to commit
ddecdfcea0ae891f782ae853771c867ab51024c2. Will look at that. There are
some kconfig fixes too but I'm not sure we need them.

> [...]
>> - move more maintainer script logic to linux-base
>
> Still to-do.
>
> [...]
>> - [armhf] omapdrm driver

still not in mainline.