Re: Linux features for wheezy

On Sat, 2012-06-02 at 23:47 +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> We have about 2 weeks to the freeze in which to enable/backport any
> extra features wanted for wheezy.  I have a 4-day weekend now but I am
> not going to spend it all on Debian hacking!
>
> Here's a list of a few to be considered:
>
> - [linux-tools] build more tools:
>   - hv (something to do with Hyper-V; requested by MS)
>   - usbip (#568362); the current usbip userland package is apparently
>     *incompatible* with the usbip driver we build!

The above are now done.

>   - lguest (#457652)

I now agree with Bastian and Moritz that we shouldn't enable lguest at
all.  i386-on-i386 with no stable PV or management ABI is not very
interesting.  kernel-package can build an lguest package, so let people
build both kernel and userland parts of it that way if they want.

> - btrfs improvements (rebalance, general performance, error handling)
>   - do these have any dependencies on VFS changes?

Bastian?  This now has a bug number, #678797.

> - network teaming driver

This turned out to depend on too many other networking changes, so I
gave up on it.

> - network byte queue limits (anti-bufferbloat)

Still to look at.

> - [armhf] LPAE support

Arnaud?

> - procfs hidepid and hidegid mount options (#669028)

Done.

> - CPU autoloading support
>   - discussed in http://bugs.debian.org/654957#20
>   - depends on conversion of CPU sysdevs to ordinary devices

Done.

> - fixes for THP with slow writeback (#675493)
> - seccomp filters and no_new_privs (#675615)
> - yama LSM
> - [arm] BPF JIT compiler

Still to look at.

[...]
> - move more maintainer script logic to linux-base

Still to-do.

[...]
> - [armhf] omapdrm driver
> - [x86] gma500 support for new chips
> - [x86] i915 improvements in Ivy Bridge support
> - radeon support for new chips
> - NVMe driver
> - tg3 support for 57766 chip
> - ipheth support for iPhone 4S
> - DRM/KMS driver for DisplayLink
> - qmi_wwan driver (#670241)

Still to-do.

I say we take off; nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure.