sid kernel slower than squeeze

Hi,

I'm curious if there are debug settings enabled in the unstable
kernel which might cause it to run slower than released kernels,
and if so, what those settings might be so I can recompile and
test, to eliminate it.

I'm running on a Dell Inspiron 630m laptop, with 1gig of RAM,
running the Gnome3 desktop.  It is a pretty fresh sid install,
upgraded from a Squeeze CD install.  I haven't installed any
fancy video drivers.... it's pretty stock.

When I run the sid 3.2.x kernel, light browsing and typing
in a terminal window can keep the CPU at 50% consistently.
Sometimes it hovers around 90%.

If I run the old Squeeze kernel, 2.6.32, which is still on
here from the upgrade, it can idle down to about 12% to maybe
25%.

Strangely, there is no one process that is taking up so much
power.  It seems to be a kernel level thing.

The extra cpu activity really causes the machine to run hot,
so much so that it is unpleasant to use.  I don't know why
just changing the kernel can affect this.

I'm running stock squeeze and sid kernels.  If I can provide
debug information to help track this down, please let me know.

Thanks,
- Chris