Re: Please Add Marvell mv78xx0 flavour

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 04:20:20AM +0000, Steve McIntyre wrote:
>On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 03:36:53AM +0000, Ben Hutchings wrote:
>>On Wed, 2012-01-25 at 15:49 +0000, Steve McIntyre wrote:
>>> Following up on the conversation from last week...
>>>
>>> Attached is a diff for squeeze. This kernel boots and runs fine on
>>> arne.debian.org, just tested. The diff between the new config.mv78xx0
>>> and config.orion5x is tiny (mostly comments), but they're not
>>> compatible as a single flavour:
>>
>>Right.  But I look at these two configurations and cannot understand the
>>reasoning behind the driver selection.
>>
>>They have PCI, but a lot of PCI drivers disabled.  I assume this is
>>because there are no PCI slots?  If that is the case then there are a
>>whole lot more PCI drivers that cannot be used and should be disabled,
>>which will cut the compile time down significantly.
>
>Ah, no. They have PCI slots and could probably support most PCI
>things, I just didn't consider that so far, basing on config.orion5x.
>Is it preferred to add everything that might work for these boards, or
>acceptable to go for a more minimal config to help reduce build time?

In the meantime, a very similar set of changes for current sid/trunk
also works for the mv78xx0 boards (see attached). The diff from the
orion5x config is even smaller:

e102122-lin:~/debian/marvell/debian-sid/config/armel$ diff -u config.orion5x config.mv78xx0 | wc -l
68

  Mature Sporty Personal
  More Innovation More Adult
  A Man in Dandism