Re: [Fwd: Latest kernel stable/longterm status]

On 10/01/12 02:42, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> We need to make a decision soon on whether we will use Linux 3.2 for
> wheezy or wait for a later release.  Whichever one we choose, we need to
> make sure someone (possibly one of us) maintains a longterm branch for
> it.  I am strongly disinclined to choose a version that puts us on our
> own, and therefore I would prefer to use Linux 3.2 along with Ubuntu.
>
> Ben.

The Ubuntu guys would maintain 3.2 up to 2017 [1]

>  3.1.y - there will be only one, maybe two, more releases of this tree
>  3.0.y - this is the new "longterm" kernel release, it will be
>          maintained for 2 years at the minimum by me.

This means that 3.0.y would be maintained by Greg until 2014 and Debian
probably would have to support Wheezy more long than that, because when
Wheezy-next becomes stable (2014+) we will have to support wheezy
(old-stable) for one year more at least. So in the end the support for
Wheezy will end probably in [2015-2016]

Meanwhile 3.2 will be maintained until 2017 by the Ubuntu folks (they
support LTS releases up to 5 years)

>  2.6.32.y - this is the previous "longterm" kernel release.  It is
> 	    approaching it's end-of-life, and I think I only have
> 	    another month or so doing releases of this.  After I am
> 	    finished with it, it might be picked up by someone else, but
> 	    I'm not going to promise anything.

Actually 2.6.32.y will be maintained by Ubuntu until 2015 [1] since they
need to keep with it up to that date. (2.6.32 was the kernel for Ubuntu
10.04 LTS)