Re: [Fwd: Latest kernel stable/longterm status]

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 11:46:10PM +0100, Marcus Osdoba wrote:
> Am 10.01.2012 02:42, schrieb Ben Hutchings:
> >We need to make a decision soon on whether we will use Linux 3.2 for
> >wheezy or wait for a later release.  Whichever one we choose, we need to
> >make sure someone (possibly one of us) maintains a longterm branch for
> >it.  I am strongly disinclined to choose a version that puts us on our
> >own, and therefore I would prefer to use Linux 3.2 along with Ubuntu.
> >
> Hi, I'm just a user, but using 3.2 along with Ubuntu LTS looks more
> than reasonable to me.
> Unfortunatly, upstream maintains only 3.0. Is there any longterm
> version beyond 3.0 in sight, which might be an adequate alternative
> for Wheezy? If not, the sum of Debian/UbuntuLTS installations should
> have a critical mass to justify the maintenance of a 3.2-DEBline on
> their own without offcial "support" from upstream.
[...]

There is no restriction that only Greg K-H can maintain longterm
series; in fact he will be handing over 2.6.32 shortly.  And
'upstream' isn't an exclusive club; many kernel team members in
both distributions are upstream developers too.

Whatever mainline version we start with, I will try to make sure that
there is a longterm series based on it.  If necessary, I will
volunteer to do that myself, but I would rather find some other mug
to do it!

                                                              - Albert Camus