Bug#597429: [radeon] firefox often crashes whole system
fixed 597429 linux-2.6/2.6.35~rc4-1~experimental.1
sdfsdfsdf ewfwdfsdf wrote:
> Ok, i tried all the kernels backwards down from 3.1 to 2.6.33.
> The result is the following:
> In all kernels - including 2.6.35 - the bug seems fixed; i couldnt
> reproduce it.
Thanks much. That includes v2.6.35-rc4, I assume.
> 2.6.33 & 34 had some bugs which prevented further testing: Both did
> not run with activated KMS. And i couldnt even force them to do so.
> Another thing was, that i coulnd not even switch to text console
> (ctrl+alt+F1). I only got a blank screen. But i still could switch
> back to graphical mode again. But there were no compositing effects
> and i couldnt enable them at all. So it seems both kernels have some
> very weird problems too.
> If you insist i could send you the logfiles from them.
Yes, I suppose a log from one of them would be useful.
- Please also try getting a log from 2.6.32-40 with drm.debug=0x6 on
the kernel command line.
- Was this a regression? Do you remember any older kernel version
that worked? (Well, I'm guessing the problems started with KMS,
but it's worth knowing anyway.)
- Can you reproduce this without KMS activated? (I.e., "recovery mode"
with drm.modeset=0 on the kernel command line, and then starting
X with the "vesa" driver.)
- Can you reproduce it with KMS activated but without X? (I.e.,
ordinary "recovery mode" on the kernel command line; you might
need to run "modprobe radeon" to trigger symptoms, not sure if
it gets loaded automatically.)
- How about with KMS activated and the X fbdev driver instead of the
- What is your userspace like? Please attach output from
"reportbug --template xserver-xorg-video-radeon" with an affected
- Any other weird symptoms or clues?
Hope that helps,