Re: Dynamic Drive Overlay software with squeeze or testing

On Fri, 2011-12-02 at 12:50 +0000, bruce robson wrote:
> I have an old computer that requires Dynamic Drive Overlay software as the BIOS doesn't
> support the full capacity of the hard disk I'm using. This computer currently dual boots
> Windows and Debian lenny. I'd like to update the Debian installation to squeeze or testing.
>
> Debian lenny uses kernel 2.6.26 which supports Dynamic Drive Overlays via kernel boot
> options to the ide driver. I'm using the option hda=remap.  These options were
> removed from the ide driver after kernel 2.6.26
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git;a=commitdiff;h=232595eaff951e96cabe5e85fed35f66b72ff51e
>
> Is there a way of using the kernels in squeeze or testing with Dynamic Drive Overlays ?

In theory you can use device-mapper to do the same thing:

    dmsetup create ddo --table '0 <size> linear /dev/sda 1'
    kpartx /dev/mapper/ddo
    # HD partitions are now /dev/mapper/ddop1 etc.

<size> is the size of the hard disk in sectors, minus 1.

But I don't see a good way to do this during the boot sequence.

Reality is just a crutch for people who can't handle science fiction.