Re: Question about pci-ide kernel support

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 05:03:13PM +0100, monje314-2006@yahoo.es wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I'm attempt to install Debian testing whezzy in a old Pentium III machine (VIA VT chipset)....

This is not very specific; most VIA chipsets used to have model
numbers beginning with 'VT'.

What does the command 'lspci -nn' show?

> The installation run smoothly, but at very first boot, the initrd phase don't appear to detect the hard driver (IDE).
>
> After find for a reason, i think that the kernels in the testing distribution was not compiled with the appropriate support for pci-ide devices in general and for my chipset in particular....
[...]

Various old-style IDE drivers have been removed, but in all cases
there are replacement drivers using libata.

The installer uses the same kernel as the installed system (well,
sometimes the installed version will have a few more bug fixes) so
if the installer worked then we clearly do have a suitable driver.

                                                              - Albert Camus