Question about pci-ide kernel support

Hi:

I'm attempt to install Debian testing whezzy in a old Pentium III machine (VIA VT chipset)....

The installation run smoothly, but at very first boot, the initrd phase don't appear to detect the hard driver (IDE).

After find for a reason, i think that the kernels in the testing distribution was not compiled with the appropriate support for pci-ide devices in general and for my chipset in particular....

This seems to be true for all the kernel packages for debian testing....

From one of the packet kernels config file:

[.....]
  #
# PCI IDE chipsets support
#
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEPCI=y
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_OFFBOARD is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_GENERIC is not set
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_OPTI621=m
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RZ1000 is not set
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PCI=y
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_AEC62XX is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_ALI15X3 is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_AMD74XX is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_ATIIXP is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_CMD64X is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_TRIFLEX is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_CS5520 is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_CS5530 is not set
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_CS5535=m
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_CS5536 is not set
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_HPT366=m
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_JMICRON is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SC1200 is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PIIX is not set
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IT8172=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IT8213=m
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IT821X is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_NS87415 is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PDC202XX_OLD is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PDC202XX_NEW is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SVWKS is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SIIMAGE is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SIS5513 is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SLC90E66 is not set
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_TRM290=m
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_VIA82CXXX is not set
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_TC86C001=m
[......]

I think at least the  CONFIG_BLK_DEV_GENERIC parameter must be set to "m".

Set to "m" some other parameters related to most popular chipset should be considered, in my opinion.... (the CONFIG_BLK_DEV_VIA82CXXX is the one i need, but perhaps by using the ide-pci-generic module my system could boot and i could recompile the kernel....)

I'm not a kernel hacker, so i apologize if my question is a silly stuff....

Regards.