Re: Symbolic links to kernel image files and initial RAM file system image files

On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 07:37:53PM +0200, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-07-23 at 18:57 +0200, Bdale Garbee wrote:
> > On Sat, 23 Jul 2011 17:57:03 +0200, Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> wrote:
> > Non-text part: multipart/signed
> > > Why would the user have to do that?  Your hook script can do it.
> >
> > I'm completely lost.  How can a hook script update u-boot's path
> > definitions?
>
> By writing to whichever flash partition they're in.
>
> > Unlike with EFI firmware where we have efibootmgr, I'm not aware of a
> > tool that runs in Linux userspace that has the ability to manipulate
> > u-boot's idea of the paths to the desired default kernel and initrd
> > images.
>
> Is that because, as with everything on ARM, it's done differently on
> each board?  How do users set these variables in the first place?

There is fw_printenv and fw_setenv from the package u-boot-tools. It
needs information where to find u-boot in /etc/fw_env.config.

The package from stable had some example configurations. Seems they
were not migrated during the merge with u-boot source package.

http://packages.debian.org/stable/all/uboot-envtools/filelist

-- Sebastian