Re: squeeze 2.6.32-5-686 doesn´t boot without monitor

On Sun, 2011-07-17 at 20:54 +0100, postbote2009-debian@yahoo.com wrote:
> Hello,
> since upgrading the squeeze kernel from 2.6.26-2-686 to 2.6.32-5-686 I
> ´ve been unable to boot my HP D510S/845G without attached monitor.
> If a monitor is attached, booting is successful, if the monitor is
> disconnected, booting hangs.
> Attached are the bootlogs from a successful and a failed boot as well
> a kernel log from a successful boot - unfortunately, without an
> attached monitor there is no kernel log.
> I suspect an interaction between xserver-xorg and the new kernel, as
> booting without monitor is successful when deinstalling the
> xserver-xorg package.

This is probably related to configuring video output in the kernel video
drivers (KMS) instead of in X video drivers.

KMS is disabled by default in the 'squeeze' kernel versions, for
compatibility with older versions of the X video drivers.  The new
version of the X video driver (xserver-xorg-video-intel) works with KMS
and installs a configuration file that enables it.

You can try disabling it by removing the file
/etc/modprobe.d/i915-kms.conf, but I don't think the X video driver will

Which version of xserver-xorg-video-intel did you install?

> Are there any kernel options to enable booting without monitor?

There is no such option, because that should always work.

Ben Hutchings
Absolutum obsoletum. (If it works, it's out of date.) - Stafford Beer