Re: squeeze 2.6.32-5-686 doesn´t boot without monitor

On Sun, 2011-07-17 at 20:54 +0100, postbote2009-debian@yahoo.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> since upgrading the squeeze kernel from 2.6.26-2-686 to 2.6.32-5-686 I
> ´ve been unable to boot my HP D510S/845G without attached monitor.
>
> If a monitor is attached, booting is successful, if the monitor is
> disconnected, booting hangs.
>
> Attached are the bootlogs from a successful and a failed boot as well
> a kernel log from a successful boot - unfortunately, without an
> attached monitor there is no kernel log.
>
> I suspect an interaction between xserver-xorg and the new kernel, as
> booting without monitor is successful when deinstalling the
> xserver-xorg package.

This is probably related to configuring video output in the kernel video
drivers (KMS) instead of in X video drivers.

KMS is disabled by default in the 'squeeze' kernel versions, for
compatibility with older versions of the X video drivers.  The new
version of the X video driver (xserver-xorg-video-intel) works with KMS
and installs a configuration file that enables it.

You can try disabling it by removing the file
/etc/modprobe.d/i915-kms.conf, but I don't think the X video driver will
work.

Which version of xserver-xorg-video-intel did you install?

> Are there any kernel options to enable booting without monitor?

There is no such option, because that should always work.

Absolutum obsoletum. (If it works, it's out of date.) - Stafford Beer